Who Are we?
Funeral Consumers Alliance of Maine (FCAM) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, all volunteer, educational organization dedicated to helping members make informed decisions about after-death arrangements that are dignified, meaningful, and affordable.
FCAM is one of more than 100 similar groups across the country affiliated with the national Funeral Consumers Alliance. We are a non-sectarian, educational organization, and have been providing funeral consumer protection and information in Maine since 1973.
We promote simplicity, dignity and economy in funeral arrangements through advance planning.
Statement of Purpose:
FCAM is a non-profit, non-sectarian, all volunteer organization dedicated to providing education and advocacy for the public so they may be informed of the many options available for pre-planning the disposition of their remains in a dignified, affordable manner.
We accomplish this by:
- Providing education on choice and affordability in funeral and/or memorial arrangements.
- Dispensing current information about the laws and practices concerning death, anatomical gifts, burial and cremation.
- Monitoring pertinent legislation and regulatory activities and advocating when appropriate.
- Educating people about how to obtain funeral services most relevant to their personal desires.
- Providing quarterly newsletters informing people about developments nationally and in Maine that affect the death care industry.